So, as some of you already know we (dysonrules and bryoneybrynn) have joined the mod team (along with the lovely and much more experienced taradiane) for hd_holidays this year. We’re pretty new to the whole fest thing and hd_holidays is quite an undertaking as far as fests go. So you’re all going to be very good and read the sign up directions carefully and follow the rules, right? Especially the part about taking the commitment seriously. Right? Okay then. *g*
This is the official sign-up post. Sign-ups will run until August 26, 2009. Sign-ups are for EVERYONE, including those with a reserved spot. Proxy sign-ups ARE allowed, if you can't make that window, but as sign-ups are NOT first-come first-served, there's less urgency in signing up early. Lottery drawing will be done and assignments will be sent within a week or two of sign-ups closing.
1. Fanfic/fanart should be:
* At least 2000 words in length, sufficiently beta read/free of spelling and grammar issues. Artists have no minimum requirement, but should think of the "under 2000 words" equivalent as something that is merely a sketch or done in MSPaint. In either case, you should put real effort into your gift! That said, we are encouraging short fic -- you don't have to write a novel! Everyone loves a concisely written ficlet, so don't think you have to write 20,000 words to be a hit. :D
* It should also contain any and all HTML that you wish included (such as italics). We will NOT go back and edit these in for you; your fic will be posted as it is received.
* Not part of a series, or a sequel to a fic that the giftee may not be familiar with.
* Based on the prompt originally assigned to you. No switching prompts/recipients or having a writer write fic for your art without consulting with the mods first.
2. There will be both a participant cap of 80 and a reservation vs. lottery system for this round. Who has a reserved spot? Anyone who has done the fest at least twice, and has never had their submission returned to them for major editing or rewrites is guaranteed a place in the fest if they want it. Everyone else (brand new newbie or people who were first-timers last year) will enter a lottery. We are unsure of the exact number of reservation vs. lottery spots. Because we’re a bit behind, rather than taking extra time to poll participants from previous years about intention to return, we’re going to see who signs up and try to strike the right balance between old and new participants.
3. We are using staggered submission deadlines again - those who have participated at least two rounds of the fest will have a later deadline than those who are new to the fest, or have only done it once. First timer's submissions are due by November 8. Second timer's submissions are due by November 15. Third/fourth time participants' (aka: the reserved spot people) submissions are due by November 22.
4. The mods assume the right to approve and deny extensions (and multiple extensions) as they sees fit. Behavior from the past rounds of hd_hols will have a bearing on how lenient we are with your extension - if you strung us along last time, we are less likely to be generous.
5. Anyone who was kicked out of hd_hols round four is not eligible to participate. If you are not sure whether or not this includes you, please email us. Also, if you are known to be a frequent sign-up-and-runner, we may not allow you to participate.
6. Submissions should be emailed to hdhols at gmail.com. You can also contact Bryoney or Cheryl directly with comments and questions.
Please think very carefully before you sign up, and please only do so if you can make the commitment. This includes those who would like to reserve a spot.
Please read r_becca’s guide to being a good fest participant for starters. Think about your own writing abilities, how fast/slow you write and how good you are at meeting deadlines, because there is nothing more frustrating to a mod than the flaky and inconsistent.
If you have a RESERVED SPOT, please put RESERVED in the subject line of your comment. This will help us sort through all sign-ups for the lottery, and to crunch the numbers. Otherwise, there is no need to say you're trying for the lottery -- we'll know :)
Please fill in every required field, and if you are asking for art or have no preference please include some prompts that lend themselves to artistic interpretation. Give some visual scenarios/ideas, including if you've listed you'd like to receive either.
Proxy sign-ups ARE allowed, so if you are going to be away during the sign-up period, you may ask a friend (or the mods) to sign up on your behalf.
You MUST put your age/make an age statement. No one under the age of 18 can write/draw and/or receive NC-17 work. Those under 18, however, CAN participate.
Please note that you should use the field regarding Era/Epilogue/Next Gen preferences to note whether you'd like epilogue compliant fic, fic set during DH canon, after the end of the war but before the epilogue, etc. Basically give your writer/artist guidelines for how they should take into account Deathly Hallows canon when creating your gift. You are also free to note here that you'd like a complete AU fic that disregards DH altogether.
Here’s the coding for the sign-up.